Switzerland has been voted one of the best countries to live in, offering its inhabitants the highest minimum wage than anywhere in world (Australia is second).
Famous for the snow-capped Alps, chocolate and yodelling countrymen, Switzerland if easily accessible from Italy by car, only about a 1 hour drive from Milan. If you’re into adventure, Switzerland is a great destination for ski resorts and hiking trails.
It is highly recommended to hire a car in Switzerland. Switzerland is a relatively small country and very easy to get around by car, plus there are little lake side villages and beautiful scenery you wont want to miss. Rail is also a great option.
NOT TO BE MISSED: TOP 10 MUST DO, SEE, EAT IN SWITZERLAND
- Shopping (sorry I have put this first). Its tas free plus most factories are in Milan making clothing and designer items a whole lot cheaper! The famous Bahnhofstrasse – one of the most beautiful shopping areas in Europe – is a must. What’s not to love!
- Lake Geneva- peace capital of the world and beautiful lake, great for watersports.
- Climb the Matterhorn. Well at least visit the Swiss Alps
- Zurich-beautiful city great to check out contemporary art, plus free bikes to ride around on! Yew!
- Lake Lugano, a quaint little lake-side town close to Fox Town (shopping) and Italian border.
- Rhine Falls- Check out the largest Waterfall in Europe
- Jungfraujoch- UNESCO World Heritage listed mountain offers skiing and hiking, plus your guaranteed to see snow all year round.
- Bern, the country’s capital is a beautiful city and is also UNESCO world heritage listed.
- Visit the Lindt & Sprüngli chocolate factory in Zurich is just a few kilometers south of the city center at Seestrasse
- Take the Gornergrat railway is a mountain rack railway, located in the Swiss canton of Valais. It links the resort village of Zermatt.
Budget/Typical Costs :
The Swiss franc (CHF) is the only official currency in Switzerland (and in Liechtenstein). The franc is the only currency accepted everywhere. The Euro is the currency in the neighboring countries Germany, France, Italy and Austria, and in many other European countries.
The Swiss franc is basically on par with the EU give or take 1c and also on par with the USD which makes it easy!
Switzerland can be expensive for travellers, as can Australia. I would say Australia is dearer than Switzerland, however Switzerland is dearer than the USA and other countires in the EU. Budget at least 60 CHF per day for food and snacks, this is not woth fine dining or alcohol and not including accommodation.
Budget for 150 CHF per night for couple, this is very basic accommodation on booking.com or air bnb, you can find cheaper backpacker-style accommodation which is about 45 CHF per person.
If looking to stay in a ‘spa-style’ accommodation or in ski lodge budget for 300-500 CHF per couple per night.
Don’t get too personal. The Swiss like to keep their buinses to themselves, don’t ask personal questions. Always be on time, Swiss are punctual people. Be aware of how you dispose of your rubbish, the Swiss have strict rules on recycling and garbage disposal.
The Swiss tend to be a little ‘dressier’ than in other European countries. With men opting for jeans and a shirt and ladies also dressed in smart casual. It is not appropriate to wear what I call ‘Californian Casual’ when in Switzerland or you will look and feel out of place. Be sure to pack a jacket and dress shoes if you plan on dining out.
No visa required for Western countries and most European countries, Switzerland is a part of the EU.
Budget higher if you are going to be visiting Ski towns and resorts or doing tours. If you plan to hire a car, which is recommended also budget higher. For Activities and car hire budget at least 70 CHF per person.
SWITZERLAND IN A WORD: Switzerland is comprised of 4 national languages: French, German, Italian and English. ‘grüezi’ (hello) is a must to learn ‘Wilkomme!’ which is ‘Welcome!’. The Swizz are very friendly and polite and are welcoming by nature. Be polite and enjoy!
Geneva Zurich Basel Lausanne Interlaken Luzern Zermatt