12 Unique Facts About India:
I learned these unique facts about India while traveling. Many surprised me!
- There are native Africans that live in India
- India is the only place where Asiatic Lions live…in the entire world! The last reserve is Gir Forest in the state of Gujarat
- India has many varied landscapes- from lush valleys, turquoise water, snow capped mountains, dessert and emerald lakes
- India is home to one of the largest salt flats in the world – Rann of Kutch on the pakistan border is home to White Rann
- Chillies were brought to India by the Portugeuse. Prior to the introduction of chillies, pepper was used to add heat and spice to gravy or ‘curry’; which leads me to the next unique fact about India
- Curry is a world that was made up by the British. Indian don’t have ‘curries’ per se, a curry is known as gravy
- India is in the top 5 countries with the most Billionaires per capita
- India broke a world record in 2011 with Kumbh Mela, the largest gathering of people with over 75 million pilgrims. The gathering was so huge that the crowd was visible from space.
- Shampoo was invented in India, not the commercial liquid ones but the method by use of herbs to cleanse hair. The word ‘shampoo’ itself has been derived from the Sanskrit word champu, which means to massage.
- India is the second largest English speaking country, only second the the USA
- India was the first country to use sugar – India was the first country to develop extraction and purifying techniques of sugar (I can taste the Halwa now)!
- Diamonds were mined in India first! Up until the 18th Century when diamonds were found in Brazil, India led the world in diamond production.
I hope you enjoyed these 12 unique facts about India. Do you know any unique facts about India? If, I would love to hear below.
For more unique facts and advice for travel in Incredible India see my India travel guide: