China, a communist nation in East Asia, is the world’s most populated country. It’s vast landscape made up of grassland, desert, mountain ranges, lakes, rivers.
With so much ground to cover, to assist your China travels, I have put together my list of 10 things to do in China.
Beijing, the capital, mixes modern architecture with historic sites including Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. Its largest city, Shanghai, is a skyscraper-studded global financial center. The iconic Great Wall of China fortification runs east-west across the country’s north.
When traveling in Beijing and in the North its recommended to have a guide that can also act as a driver, English is not as common as in other parts of the country. Don’t plan on updating facebook and social media as you will not be able to access it in Beijing 🙁
10 Things to do in China:
- Visit the Great Wall of China. The only man-made wonder visible from space.
- Dumplings and Dim Sim! Simply the best in China! I have met countless people who travel to China simply for the culinary experience. After all eating is a huge part of Chinese culture.
- Tianimen Square and Forbidden City in Beijing. History in an Ancient setting. Will give you a great understanding of the past and present state of China.
- 798 Art Zone. Such a wonderful contradiction of Chinese culture! 798 Art Zone completely goes against the communist system. Before embarking on a trip to China: Watch the film Ai Wei Wei, ‘Never Sorry’.
- Terracotta Army in Xian. Constructed in 246–206 BC. With the tomb of Emperor Qin Shihuang it took 720,000 builders and is considered as one of the world’s greatest archeological sites.
- Potala Palace in Tibet looks like a Tarrantino movie set, and was the chief residence of the Dalai Lama. It is now a museum and a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Temple of Heaven in Beijing constructed in 1420, the 18th year of the reign of Ming emperor Yongle, is one of the most magnificent buildings in China. Hard to believe it was constructed in the 1420.
- The stunning Yangtze River is the longest river in Asia and the third-longest in the world, known in China as as the Chang Jiang or the Yangzi, the river is home to the Baiji, a beautiful unique highly endangered Dolphin. See Awareness Section for more.
- Night out in Shanghai. Shanghai is a modern, bustling city that offers great shopping, food and night life.
- Guangzhou Trade Fair. No one in the world does a trade show like the Chinese! If you’re interested in doing business with China, no matter what industry you are in you will find something for you in China.
I hope my list of 10 things to do in China helps you to plan your china trip. Just learn a few words and basic phrases before you go and you will be fine.
China in a word: 3 essential words/phrases when vising China:
- Wèi (way) Means Hi
- Nǐ hǎo ma? (Nee-haoww-mah?) How are you?
- Xièxie (sshyeah-sshyeah) Thank you!
For Beijing Travel Tips see my Beijing Travel Guide